Beyond the Classroom
Queen Margaret College encourages all girls to be involved in the Performing Arts, not only as a creative outlet but also to enhance their learning and social development.
As part of the curriculum at Queen Margaret College, we offer Music and Drama. We have a purpose built music suite including a main teaching classroom, an excellent performance space and a number of tuition rooms. We also have two well equipped Drama classrooms. Our staff are widely experienced as both performers and teachers.
There is a wide range of extra-curricular Performing Arts opportunities available to students including:
- Major Productions
- House Performing Arts
- The Queen Margaret Chorale, our premier Choir
- The Sweet Margaritas, our Barbershop Chorus
- Other choirs including Celesta, Cherubim, the Tui Singers and our adult choir, the Queens Singers
- Instrumental ensembles including The Queen Margaret Orchestra, Honours Band, Banditas Band, Stringendos string ensemble, Chamber Music and a guitar ensemble
- A Band and Strings programme for all girls in Year 6
- Poly Club
- Drama Productions
- Shakespeare Club
- Primary Shakespeare Performance
- The ability to work with specialist teachers in instrumental music, singing and speech, dance and drama.
Our students regularly compete, perform and excel at regional and national levels. Successes in recent years have included:
- Big Sing Regional Awards and National Finale’s
- National composing competitions
- National finale of the Chamber Music competition
- National champions and runner up in the Barbershop Finals, as well as third place internationally
- Students selected for National Youth orchestra and Secondary Schools choir
- NZ scholarships in Music and Drama
- Regional and National awards in the Sheilah Winn Shakespeare Competition, as well as students selected for the Globe theatre